Attention: Before making any changes please contact your health care professional.
What Is Yeast Infection, Candida, Thrush?
There are four different types of Candida. Blood Testing helps identify Candida from other vaginal infections.
- Yeast Infection (Candida Albicans – white curdish discharge, miserable itch)
- Trichomoniasis (protozoan – yellow discharge that burns)
- Bacterial vaginosis (bacterium – thin grey, greenish discharge)
- Atrophic vaginitis (post-menopausal women and those whose ovaries have been surgically removed. - itching or burning, painful intercourse, and a thin watery discharge, sometimes tinged with blood)
We want to focus on Candida Albicans, which is quite common.
What is Candida Albicans?
Candida albicans is a normal harmless yeast found in moist areas of your body, e.g. your intestines, mouth, throat and genital tract.
Candida in the mouth - In the mouth, Candida is called thrush found on the tongue, gums and inside of checks.
Candida in the Vagina - In the vagina, Vaginitis is shown as white, cheesy discharge and intense itching occur.
Candida in Babies - Thrush may be passed on to newborns and show up 8 to 9 days after delivery.
Symptoms of Candida Albicans
Bad breath, coated tongue, constipation, chronic infections, depression, fatigue, food cravings, gas, headaches, mental confusion, indigestion, insomnia, discomforting odors about the body, panic attacks, menstrual problems, intense itching in the vagina, adrenal and thyroid problems.
Causes of Candida Albicans
- Use of antibiotics and steroid medication
- Long-term chemotherapy
- Use of birth control pills (causes vitamin B deficiency and changes the vaginal pH )
- Increased stress
- Eating sugary and junk food
- Use of prescription drugs
- Normally, the pH of the vagina is acid; anything that alkalinizes it contributes to vaginitis. Causes include diabetes, menstrual period, pregnancy, and the time just after a miscarriage or abortion, frequent douching
- Emotional or spiritual instability
Penile Yeast Infection
The Candida fungus can thrive as long as the environment is right – warm, moist and dark – and this covers many areas, including penis and more specifically, under the foreskin.
Symptoms of Penile Yeast Infection
Irritation on the head of the penis - Quite common irritation and itching to the point where it is most agonizing
Sores on the foreskin and/or head of the penis - Red sores or blisters on the penis
White Discharge - Discharge as that of vaginal yeast infections and oral thrush
Burning Sensation - A burning sensation that persists as long as the yeast infection lasts.
Nothing – The Worst Symptom - Where your partner has yeast infection and you regularly engage in intercourse, even though no symptom shows, it is best to take prevention measures.
Causes of Penile Yeast Infection
Apart from an overgrowth of the Candida fungas, other causes include:
Low immunity caused by: Nutrient deficiency, stress, low white blood cell count, transplant surgery, low stomach acidity, HIV/AIDS, cancer
Bad Diet: Poor nutritious diet could cause a loss in balance of the other bacteria that would otherwise help prevent the Candida from growing out of control or improve the conditions for it to overgrow.
Antibiotics: Antibiotics kill not just the bad bacteria, but also the good ones. Without these good bacteria that help prevent the Candida fungi from multiplying, you are more likely to contract the yeast infection.
Diabetes: The sugar in urine will be a catalyst for the Candida fungi, which it a great environment for yeast to grow.
Sexual Intercourse: One of the most common causes of yeast infection in men, and also the cause of recurring yeast infections is through sexual intercourse. If both parties fail to get rid of the yeast infection completely before they engage in sexual activity, it will keep passing back and forth in a vicious cycle.
Condoms with nonoxynol-9: Research has shown that this chemical, which kills germs and sperm, actually helps Candida to grow rapidly at a ration of 1.4 to 4 times.
Candida Albicans Lifestyle Changes
- Get adequate amount of sleep nightly. Go to bed by 9:30 pm in a dark room.
- Exercise is very essential to good health. You should walk at least one hour daily.
- Avoid damp moldy environments, for example the basements.
- Avoid using synthetic or silk underwear, because they can trap the fungus and help it to grow in body openings. Wear white cotton underwear instead and change them daily. Tight-fitting clothing e.g. pants, girdles, tights, increases moisture retention in the genital area, creating a good breathing ground for Candida.
- Avoid household chemical products and cleaners, chlorinated water, mothballs, synthetic fabric, deodorant sprays, colored toilet paper, harsh soaps and detergents.
- Avoid antibiotics and steroids, because they destroy the competing good bacteria and allow candida to overgrow.
- Use no tub baths. Showers are always better for a woman. Bath water containing soap and impurities enter both the vagina and urethra. No soap should be used on the vagina or penis during the treatment period.
- Some infections an be transmitted sexually, so your partner could inadvertently reinfect you. Some microorganisms can tracel up the fallopian tubes, causing painful pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), which can have an impact on fertility and future health.
Diet Changes for reversing Candida
- Cut out all flesh foods (including fish, chicken, meat, pork, and crustaceans) as well as poultry
- Eliminate all dairy products – milk, cheese, butter
- Go on a low fat plant-based diet (eliminate free fats such as margarine, cooking and salad oils),
- Candida thrives in a sugary environment, so your diet should be low in carbohydrates and yeast. Do not use sugar, including natural sweeteners like honey, dates, raisins
- Eliminate all pickles, vinegar, alcohol, wine, chocolate
- Eliminate yeast foods (Baker's yeast, Brewer's yeast, nutritional yeast)
- Go on a gluten-free diet and eat organic. Try to stay away from gluten grains and their by-products at least until the healing takes place. Avoid wheat, rye, barley, spelt, kamut in any form including oats (bread, bake, pastries, cakes, pies, cookies)
- Increase fresh fruit (see list) and vegetables, which are low in sugar or starch which can breakdown into sugar
- Eliminate citrus such as oranges, grapefruit, lemons, tomatoes, pineapple and limes for one month; then add back only a few twice weekly. These foods are actually alkaline-forming in the body and candida thrives on them.
- Clean all fruits and vegetables with lemon juice or fruit wash.
- Use fresh ONION and GARLIC as often as possible.
- Selenium and Zinc (brazil nuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds)
- Liverclean – contains antioxidants that prevents free radicals and other properties that cleans the liver, the blood and the brain. (digestive enzymes not needed if using Liverclean)
- Bio-Kult - multi-strain probiotic. Take one spoonful of food then use as follows:
First and second week – one capsule per meal
Third week – 2 capsules per meal
Fourth week and more – 3 capsules per meal
- TriEnza - a digestive enzyme –use 2 – 3 capsules per meal
- NuTriVene Betaine HCl with Pepsin is a preparation that feeds the good bacteria causing them to increase in the gut. Use 2-3 Capsules per meal.
- – 1000mg twice daily for 6 weeks - improve gut barrier function by sealing the gut.
- – 1000mg twice daily for 6 weeks - Glutamine is an essential amino acid that is anti-inflammatory and necessary for the growth and repair of your intestinal lining. L-glutamine acts a protector and coats your cell walls, acting as a repellent to irritants.
- Seaweed cure – use 1 capsule from each bottle twice daily with meals (avoid use if you have severe digestive issues). Kelp, Dulse, Chlorella, or Spirulina are helpful in protecting the intestinal flora.
- 1 tablet daily with meal or 4 cloves of fresh garlic daily (can be blended in a vegetable drink or eaten with food)
- Echinacea and Goldenseal tea are very good antibiotics which are very effective against yeast – do not use Goldenseal for more than seven consecutive days.
- Aloe vera juice increases White Blood cells ability to kill yeast germ. Take 2 ounces 15 minutes before meals twice daily. Aloe vera gel may be applied externally to reduce itching.
- Wild crafted oregano oil is another powerful antiseptic killing fungi. 2 drops in 8 ounces of water – drink once daily.
- Olive leaf tea is a good healer of microbial infections
- Pau d’Arco tea contains antifungal, antibacterial agents – 2 tablespoons to 4 cups water
- VM 100 Complete – yeast free, dairy free, builds the immune system
- Candida overgrowth depletes the B vitamins – restore with vitamin B Complete
- – 1 to 2 tablespoons to 4 cups water (see instructions for making teas)
- Vitamin D – when the sun hits the skin, it converts cholesterol under the skin into pre-vitamin D, which is later converted into vitamin D that the body can use. Daily exposure to sunlight is beneficial for producing your own vitamin D. For lighter-skinned individuals, 10 to 15 minutes daily will be sufficient whereas for darker-skinned individuals, 45 minutes to 1 ½ hours daily is required between the hours of 10:00am and 2:00pm when the UVB rays is at the highest.
Analysis of data in the 2005-2006 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) found that women with higher levels of vitamin D had lower risk of pelvic floor disorders. In treating disease, it is important that your vitamin D level is sufficient. Correct Levels of vitamin D are 40 ng/mL to 100 ng/mL (once the levels get above 150 ng/mL with supplement it can become toxic to the body however if the levels get above 150 ng/mL with Natural Sunlight then you are fine.) The 25-hydroxy vitamin D test is the most accurate way to measure how much vitamin D is in your body. Once you know your level, if you need to increase it, you may consider taking 5000iu daily of vitamin D3 supplement until your levels are back in line. For the colder climate, as a regular maintenance from June – September use the Natural Sunlight, May October take iu daily, April November take iu daily, and take iu daily, January February take iu daily. Do Not exceed the recommended vitamin D level. Remember that the liquid vitamin D3 with fat is best and easily absorbed (vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin, so it requires fat in order for it to be absorbed).
If you live in a warmer climate please use the natural sunlight (45-90 minutes daily between the hours of 10:00am – 2:00pm).
PS: If you are deficient in vitamin D, then you will need to take the prescription dosage or the equivalent of 5,000ius per day for 8 weeks of supplemental vitamin D3.
Here is another option: If there is a chronic deficiency in vitamin D, it would recommended that you take as much as 10,000iu daily for either 3-4 months, then you can revert to the 5000iu daily
Instructions for preparing teas:
- Hard parts of the plant such as: roots, seeds, rhizome or bark: BOIL for 15 minutes, and then draw for 40 minutes to 4 hours
- Delicate parts of the plant such as: leaves, flowers, buds, stems or clusters: bring water to a boil then DRAW/STEEP for 40 minutes to 3 hours.
- For combinations: boil hard parts first for 15 minutes then add delicate parts and draw/steep for 40 minutes to 3 - 4 hours.
- Drink as water through the day.
- Fill a shallow tub to the hip with warm water
- Add pink Himalayan sea salt (enough to make the water taste salty, about 1/2 cup) to match your body’s natural saline state.
- Add 1/2 cup of vinegar, to help rebalance vaginal pH to 4.5.
- Then sit in the water for 20 minutes, knees apart, until it gets cool.
- The bath will do the cleansing. Vinegar has the same pH as a normal vagina.
Acidophilus douche keeps the colon slightly acid. Use a retention enema containing 4oz warm water and 10 billion organisms. Use 3 times weekly, 10 minutes each time.
PLEASE COMBINE THIS SHEET WITH THE FACT SHEET TO GET THE BEST RESULT.
For further information, please contact us.
Want a Free PDF Copy of This Article?
Fill In the quick form below and download this article to your device.